See previous versions of this and other policies in our Policy Archives.
This is a translation of the English language version of this agreement. To the extent of any inconsistency between this version and the English language version, the English language version shall take precedence.
Here is a plain English summary of our Free Images License Agreement. Please read the full license for more details.
Note: Check the image source. If the image comes from Pixabay please refer to the Pixabay License; if the image comes from Pexels, please refer to the Pexels License. All other free images within Canva are covered by the license outlined on this page.
What is allowed?
- All free photos on Canva can be used for free for commercial and noncommercial use.
- If a photo contains an identifiable person, place, logo or trademark, please ensure you check the image source or contact us if you’re unsure. We can’t guarantee that any free images have the appropriate releases for commercial use.
- Attribution is not required but always appreciated.
- You can modify the photos. Be creative and edit the photos as you like.
What is not allowed?
Respect the hard work of the photographers and keep these restrictions in mind.
- Identifiable people may not appear in a bad light or in a way that is offensive.
- Don't sell unaltered copies of a photo, e.g. don't sell it as a stock photo, poster, print or on a physical product without adding any value.
- Don't imply endorsement of your product by people or brands on the image.
- Don't redistribute or sell the photos on other stock photo or wallpaper platforms.
The text in the right column is aimed to give a plain English summary of our Free Images License Agreement. Please ensure you read the main text on the left, as the plain English summary on the right is just a summary and doesn’t capture all of the terms.
The text in grey column is aimed to give a plain English summary of our Free Images License Agreement. Please ensure you read the main text in black, as the plain English summary in grey is just a summary and doesn’t capture all of the terms.
When you download content from Canva under a Free Images License, you agree to the following terms.
This Free Images License Agreement governs the terms by which Users of Canva obtain the right to use Stock Media provided by other Users through this Free Images License.
Please note that a Canva Design that contains Stock Media licensed under the One Time Use License, Royalty Free License or other Free Images License may only be used in compliance with such License Agreement even if other Stock Media in the Canva Design has been licensed under the Free Images License Agreement. To obtain the right to use any Canva Design pursuant to the Free Images License Agreement, you must license all the Stock Media in your Design under the Free Images License.
Your failure to comply with the terms herein could result in legal proceedings and the immediate termination of your account.
1. Agreement Background
- All Stock Media on the Service is protected by United States and international copyright laws and treaties. Canva and/or its various Contributors own all rights, interests and title, including the copyrights, in and to the Stock Media. Canva and/or its Contributors reserve all rights in and to the Stock Media not expressly granted to you by the terms of this Free Images License Agreement. Your rights to use any Stock Media are subject to this Free Images License Agreement and are conditioned upon your payment to Canva for your use of the Stock Media.
- If you fail to make any payment to Canva when due, or if any check is dishonored or credit card charge refused or charged back, your account will be deemed delinquent. You still have the right to use any Canva Design Exported or Stock Media downloaded under a previous, valid payment, but your right to use any Canva Design Exported or Stock Media downloaded as part of an invalid transaction shall automatically terminate unless all payments together with any interest thereon and Canva’s costs of collection, bank charges and credit card processing fees are received by Canva no later than fifteen (15) days from the date that your account became delinquent.
- Stock Media licensed under this Free Images License may be both downloaded for use outside Canva and used within a Canva Design. The Stock Media licensed under this Free Images License may be used in an unlimited number of Canva Designs without the payment of additional license fees, so long as any such use remains in compliance with the terms of this Free Images License Agreement. Any Stock Media licensed under the separate One Time Use License Agreement is restricted to use in a single Canva Design and requires the payment of license fees each time the Canva Design is Exported from the Service. The licensing of any Stock Media under this Free Images License Agreement does not remove any limitations or license fees applicable to any Stock Media licensed under any other Canva License Agreements. If you wish to use any such Stock Media in a manner provided for under this Free Images License, you must separately license any such Stock Media under an additional Free Images License.
- You understand and agree that Canva may, in its sole discretion:
- monitor anything you download from, Export from or upload to Canva or the Service, as frequently Canva in its sole discretion determines, for any violation of this Free Images License Agreement;
- retain for an indefinite period details of a Canva Design that you have Exported;
- track any abuse of your username and password in connection with the Service or in connection with this Free Images License Agreement;
If you want to use any of Canva’s Stock Media, you have to pay to obtain a license. If you pay for a Free Images License, then you can use that Stock Media in more than one of your Canva Designs and also in designs outside Canva. We’ll keep track of your designs and your account to make sure you’re not breaking this agreement. If you *do* break it, we’ll close your account.
2. Free Images License Terms
Subject to the terms and conditions hereof, we hereby grant to you a perpetual, non-exclusive, non-transferable worldwide license to use the Stock Media for Permitted Uses (as defined below). Unless the activity or use is a Permitted Use, you cannot do it. All other rights in and to the Stock Media, including, without limitation, all copyright and other Intellectual Property Rights relating to the Stock Media, are retained by Canva and/or its Contributors as the case may be.
We are granting you a license anywhere we can (even the Arctic Circle, bears!), but you’re not the only one we can give it to and you can’t give it to anyone else.
3. Permitted Uses
Subject to the restrictions described under Prohibited Uses below, the following are “Permitted Uses” of Canva designs that contain Stock Media:
- invitations, advertising and promotional projects, including printed materials, product packaging, presentations, film and video presentations, commercials, catalogues, brochures, greeting cards and postcards for promotion and/or resale, without any reproduction quantity limit;
- school or university projects;
- social media post or profile image;
- decorative background on a personal computer or mobile device;
- entertainment applications, such as books and book covers, magazines, newspapers, editorials, newsletters, and video, broadcast and theatrical presentations of unlimited prints;
- online or electronic publications, including web pages, blogs, ebooks and videos, limited where to a maximum of 480,000 total pixels (for example: 600px x 800px) per Stock Media file where un-edited
- prints, posters (i.e. a hardcopy) and other reproductions for personal or promotional purposes, resale, license or other distribution;
- install and use the Stock Media in more than one location or post a copy of the Stock Media on a network server or web server for use solely by other users employed by or performing services for you;
- any other uses approved in writing by Canva.
In the event that you create a derivative work based on or incorporating the Stock Media, all rights in and to such Stock Media shall continue to be owned by Canva or its Contributor(s), subject to your rights to use such Stock Media pursuant to the terms and limitations set forth herein.
All other rights in the Stock Media are expressly reserved by Canva for itself and its Contributors.
These are the things this license permits you to do with Canva designs that contain Stock Media.
4. Prohibited Uses
You may not do anything with the Stock Media that is not expressly permitted in the preceding section. For greater certainty, the following are “Prohibited Uses” and you may not:
- sub-license, re-sell, rent, lend, assign, gift or otherwise transfer or distribute the Stock Media or the rights granted under this Free Images License Agreement;
- use any of the Stock Media as part of a trade-mark, design-mark, trade-name, business name, service mark, or logo;
- use Stock Media identified as “Editorial Use Only”, for any commercial, promotional, endorsement, advertising or merchandising use. For clarification, in this Agreement “Editorial Use Only” of Stock Media means use relating to events that are newsworthy or of general interest and expressly excludes any advertorial sections (i.e. sections or supplements featuring brand and/or product names or sections or supplements in relation to which you receive a fee from a third-party advertiser or sponsor);
- remove any notice of copyright, trade-mark or other proprietary right from any place where it is on or embedded in the Stock Media or Canva Design;
- use the Stock Media in a fashion that is considered by Canva or under applicable law to be pornographic, obscene, immoral, infringing, defamatory or libelous in nature, or that would be reasonably likely to bring any person or property reflected in the Stock Media into disrepute;
- use the Stock Media in a way that places any person depicted in the Stock Media in a bad light or in a way that they may find offensive – this includes, but is not limited to, the use of images: a) in pornography, “adult videos” or the like; b) in ads for tobacco products; c) in ads or promotional materials for adult entertainment clubs or similar venues, or for escort, dating or similar services; d) in connection with political endorsements; e) in advertisements or promotional materials for pharmaceutical or healthcare, herbal or medical products, including, but not limited to dietary supplements, digestive aids, herbal supplements, personal hygiene or birth control products; and f) uses that are defamatory, or contain otherwise unlawful, offensive or immoral content. You may not use Stock Media containing the likeness of a person if such use implies that the model engages in any immoral or illegal activity or suffers from a physical or mental infirmity, ailment or condition;
- use Stock Media in a manner that competes with Canva’s business including, but not limited to, displaying Stock Media in any format (including thumbnails) for download or Export on a website or offering Stock Media for sale;
- use the Stock Media for editorial purposes without including the following credit adjacent to the Stock Media or in audio/visual production credits: “©[insert Contributor’s Name] via Canva.com;
- incorporate the Stock Media in any product that results in a re-distribution or re-use of the Stock Media or is otherwise made available in a manner such that a person can extract or access or reproduce the Stock Media as an electronic file;
- to the extent that source code is contained within the Stock Media, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble any part of such source code;
- use or display the Stock Media in an electronic format that enables it to be downloaded, Exported or distributed via mobile devices or shared in any peer-to-peer or similar file sharing arrangement; or
- use or display Stock Media in such a manner that gives the impression that the Stock Media were created by you or a person other than the copyright holder of the Stock Media.
Definitely, definitely, definitely can’t do these things with any Stock Media on Canva, no matter which license you buy.
- You acknowledge that no releases are generally obtained for any Stock Media that is identified as “Free” and that some jurisdictions provide legal protection against a person’s image, likeness or property being used for commercial purposes when they have not provided a release. For Stock Media identified as “Free”, Canva does not grant any right nor make any warranty with regard to the use of names, people, trademarks, trade dress, logos, registered designs or works of art or architecture depicted therein. In such cases, you shall be solely responsible for determining whether release(s) is/are required in connection with any proposed use of the Stock Media identified as “Free”, and shall be responsible for obtaining such release(s).
- While we have made reasonable efforts to correctly categorize, keyword, caption and title the Stock Media, Canva does not warrant the accuracy of such information and Canva also does not warrant the accuracy of any metadata that may be provided with the Stock Media.
- You can terminate this Free Images License Agreement by destroying the Stock Media and Canva Design, along with any copies or archives of it or accompanying materials (if applicable), and ceasing to use the Canva Design for any purpose. Canva can terminate this Free Images License Agreement without advanced notice if at any time you fail to comply with any of its terms. Upon termination, you must immediately (i) cease using the Stock Media and any Canva Designs containing the Stock Media for any purpose; (ii) destroy or delete all copies and archives of the Stock Media and any Canva Designs containing the Stock Media or accompanying materials; and (iii) if requested, confirm to Canva in writing that you have complied with these requirements.
- We reserve the right to revoke or amend the license granted by this Free Images License Agreement and replace the Stock Media with an alternative for any reason.
- Upon notice from Canva, or upon your knowledge that any Stock Media is subject to a threatened, potential or actual claim of infringement of another’s right for which Canva may be liable, you must immediately and at your own expense (i) stop using the Stock Media; (ii) delete or remove the Stock Media from your premises, computer systems and storage (electronic or physical); (iii) ensure that your clients, printers or ISPs do likewise; and (iv) let Canva know.
If you want to end this agreement you don’t have to get Arnold Schwarzenegger involved. Just shred any printed copies of the design and delete any files related to the design. We can change this license whenever we want. If anyone takes legal action over any Stock Media you are using, you must stop using the Stock Media, delete or remove the Stock Media, and let us know about it.