Updated on October 30, 2019. See previous versions of this and other policies in our Policy Archives.
This is a translation of the English language version of this agreement. To the extent of any inconsistency between this version and the English language version, the English language version shall take precedence.
The text in the right column is aimed to give a plain English summary of our One Design Use License Agreement. Please ensure you read the main text on the left, as the plain English summary on the right is just a summary and doesn’t capture all of the terms.
The text in grey is aimed to give a plain English summary of our One Design Use License Agreement. Please ensure you read the main text in black, as the plain English summary in grey is just a summary and doesn’t capture all of the terms.
Please note there are specific rules that apply to Music under the One Design Use License.
When you download content from Canva under a One Design Use License, you agree to the following terms.
Please note that a Canva Design that contains Stock Media licensed under the One Design Use License Agreement may only be used in compliance with the One Design Use License Agreement even if other Stock Media in the Canva Design has been licensed under the Multi-Use License Agreement and/or Extended License Agreement (whichever applicable – noting that paid Stock Music is only available to license under the One Design Use License). To obtain the right to use any Canva Design pursuant to the Multi-Use License Agreement and/or Extended License Agreement (whichever applicable), you must license all the Stock Media in your Canva Design under either the Multi-Use License or Extended License (whichever applicable).
Your failure to comply with the terms herein could result in legal proceedings and the immediate termination of your account.
1. Agreement Background
- All Stock Media on the Service is protected by United States and international copyright laws and treaties. Canva and/or its various Contributors own all rights, interests and title, including the copyrights, in and to the Stock Media. Canva and/or its Contributors reserve all rights in and to the Stock Media not expressly granted to you by the terms of this One Design Use License Agreement. Your rights to use any Stock Media are subject to this One Design Use License Agreement and are conditioned upon your payment to Canva for your use of the Stock Media.
- If you fail to make any payment to Canva when due, or if any check is dishonored or credit card charge refused or charged back, your account will be deemed delinquent. You still have the right to use any Canva Design Exported or Stock Media downloaded under a previous, valid payment, but your right to use any Canva Design Exported or Stock Media downloaded as part of an invalid transaction shall automatically terminate unless all payments together with any interest thereon and Canva’s costs of collection, bank charges and credit card processing fees are received by Canva no later than fifteen (15) days from the date that your account became delinquent.
- Stock Media licensed under this One Design Use License Agreement is intended for use in one single Canva Design. This license does not include the right to download the original file or use it independently of the Canva Design for which it was licensed. You cannot remove or attempt to remove, edit or attempt to edit Stock Media from a Design. When you choose to Export your Canva Design you will be charged the fee for all the Stock Media contained in your Canva Design for which a One Design Use License is required. Stock Media for which you have previously purchased a Multi-Use License and/or Extended License will not require purchase of a One Design Use License and you will not be charged any additional license fee. The Stock Media licensed under this One Design Use License may be used within a single Canva Design for an unlimited period of time, so long as such use remains in compliance with the terms of this One Design Use License. You may re-export or otherwise use that Canva Design at any time, except where that Canva Design has been Magic Resized, without being charged an additional license fee for that Stock Media. For the avoidance of doubt, the use of Stock Media licensed under this One Design Use License in a Canva Design that has been Magic Resized will constitute use in a secondary design and will require you to purchase an additional One Design Use License.
- You understand and agree that Canva may, in its sole discretion:
- monitor anything you Export from or upload to Canva or the Service, as frequently Canva in its sole discretion determines, for any violation of this One Design Use License Agreement;
- retain for an indefinite period details of a Canva Design that you have Exported;
- track any abuse of your username and password in connection with the Service or in connection with this One Design Use License Agreement;
If you want to use any of Canva’s Stock Media, you have to pay to obtain a license.
If you pay for a One Design Use License, then you can only use that Stock Media in one of your Canva Designs. While the license allows you to change aspects of that specific Canva Design (such as colours or text), you may not Magic Resize the design or edit the PDFs, PNGs or JPGs that we give you as part of that license (That’s why we can offer you this content for much cheaper than anyone else)
2. One Design Use License Terms
Subject to the terms and conditions hereof, we hereby grant to you a perpetual, non-exclusive, non-transferable worldwide license to use the Stock Media in one Canva Design for a Permitted Use (as defined below). Unless the activity or use is a Permitted Use, you cannot do it. All other rights in and to the Stock Media, including, without limitation, all copyright and other Intellectual Property Rights relating to the Stock Media, are retained by Canva and/or its Contributors as the case may be.
We are granting you a license anywhere we can (even Antarctica, penguins!), but you’re not the only one we can give it to and you can’t give it to anyone else.
3. Permitted Uses
Permitted Uses of Stock Media (other than music)
Subject to the restrictions described under Prohibited Uses below, the following are “Permitted Uses” of Canva designs that contain Stock Media (excluding music):
- invitations, advertising and promotional projects, including printed materials, product packaging, presentations, film and video presentations, commercials, catalogues, brochures, promotional greeting cards and promotional postcards (ie. not for resale or license) up to 2,000 prints;
- school or university projects;
- social media post or profile image;
- decorative background on a personal computer or mobile device;
- entertainment applications, such as books and book covers, magazines, newspapers, editorials, newsletters, and video, broadcast and theatrical presentations up to 2,000 prints;
- online or electronic publications, including web pages, blogs, ebooks and videos, limited to a maximum of 480,000 total pixels (for example: 600px x 800px) per Stock Media file where un-edited;
- prints, posters (i.e. a hardcopy) and other reproductions for personal or promotional purposes, but not for resale, license or other distribution;
- any other uses approved in writing by Canva.
Permitted Uses of Stock Media
Subject to the restrictions described under Prohibited Uses below, the following are “Permitted Uses” of Canva designs that contain Stock Music:
- Presentations and film and video presentations;
- School or university projects;
- Social media posts or profile videos;
- Pre-, mid- and post- roll online advertisements (such as within a YouTube Video);
- Online or electronic publications including web pages, blogs, ebooks and videos;
- Other reproductions for personal purposes but not for resale, license or other distribution;
- Any other uses approved in writing by Canva.
In the event that you create a derivative work based on or incorporating the Stock Media, all rights in and to such Stock Media shall continue to be owned by Canva or its Contributor(s), subject to your rights to use such Stock Media pursuant to the terms and limitations set forth herein.
All other rights in the Stock Media are expressly reserved by Canva for itself and its Contributors.
These are the things this license permits you to do with Canva designs that contain Stock Media.
4. Prohibited Uses
You may not do anything with the Stock Media that is not expressly permitted in the preceding section.
The following are Prohibited Uses under this One Design Use License; however, are available under the separate Multi-Use License (not available for music):
- either individually or in combination with others, physically reproduce the Stock Media, or an element of the Stock Media, in excess of 2,000 times;
- use the Stock Media in more than one Canva Design;
- use the Stock Media in a design created outside the Service;
The following are Prohibited Uses under this One Design Use License; however, are available under the separate Extended Licenses (not available for music):
- reproduce the Stock Media and/or the Canva Design containing Stock Media more than 250,000 times;
- install and use the Stock Media in more than one location or post a copy of the Stock Media on a network server or web server for use by other users;
- use the Stock Media in any posters (printed on paper, canvas or any other media) or other items for resale, license or other distribution for profit;
- except for use within apps on the Service you may not:
- include Stock Media in templates of any nature, including templates for websites, social networking websites, documents, projects or otherwise for distribution and/or sale to third parties;
- use or display the Stock Media on websites or other venues designed to induce or involving the sale, license or other distribution of “on demand” products, including postcards, mugs, t-shirts, posters and other items;
- use the Stock Media in design template applications intended for resale, whether online or not, including, without limitation, website templates, Flash templates, business card templates, electronic greeting card templates, and brochure design templates.
Unfortunately, there are some things you just can’t do under the One Design Use License, but you might be able to do them if you pay for one of our other licenses: the Multi-Use License or the Extended License.
Specific Prohibited Uses for music:
In addition to the Prohibited Uses that apply to all Stock Media (see below), users may not use any stock music piece in:
- TV or SVOD productions;
- radio/podcast productions or similar;
- feature films;
- vignettes/theme songs;
- Traditional media advertisements or commercials (meaning productions published within paid media space such as TV/cinema/radio/podcast/billboard but excluding any online advertisements such as pre-mid-post-rolls).
Users may not:
- Make available or in any other way exploit a music piece for the purpose of making the music piece (in whole or in part) available, on a stand-alone basis (meaning available outside of Canva or without being synchronized with a Canva design in accordance with the purposes of this Agreement) nor repackage the music pieces or upload/use them (in whole or in part) as for example audio samples, sound libraries, sound effects, music beds or upload them in any music recognition systems;
- edit a music piece in any way that would alter the fundamental character of the portion of any music piece being used, or that would give rise to any copyright or other rights on the part of the User in the edited music piece (including without limitation that no remixes, samples or derivative works of the Music Pieces may be made);
- incorporate any Canva design containing any Music Piece in a software application or video game.
Listen up! These are specific restrictions that apply to music.
The following Prohibited Uses are not available under this or any other Canva license for Stock Media (including music and video):
- sub-license, re-sell, rent, lend, assign, gift or otherwise transfer or distribute the Stock Media or the rights granted under this One Design Use License Agreement;
- use any of the Stock Media as part of a trade-mark, design-mark, trade-name, business name, service mark, or logo;
- use Stock Media identified as “Editorial Use Only”, for any commercial, promotional, endorsement, advertising or merchandising use. For clarification, in this Agreement “Editorial Use Only” of Stock Media means use relating to events that are newsworthy or of general interest and expressly excludes any advertorial sections (i.e. sections or supplements featuring brand and/or product names or sections or supplements in relation to which you receive a fee from a third-party advertiser or sponsor);
- remove any notice of copyright, trade-mark or other proprietary right from any place where it is on or embedded in the Stock Media or Canva Design;
- use the Stock Media in a fashion that is considered by Canva or under applicable law to be offensive, pornographic, obscene, immoral, discriminatory, illegal, infringing, defamatory or libelous in nature, or that would be reasonably likely to bring any person or property reflected in the Stock Media into disrepute;
- use the Stock Media in a way that places any person depicted in the Stock Media in a bad light or in a way that they may find offensive – this includes, but is not limited to, the use of images: a) in pornography, “adult videos” or the like; b) in ads for tobacco products; c) in ads or promotional materials for adult entertainment clubs or similar venues, or for escort, dating or similar services; d) in connection with political endorsements; e) in advertisements or promotional materials for pharmaceutical or healthcare, herbal or medical products, including, but not limited to dietary supplements, digestive aids, herbal supplements, personal hygiene or birth control products; and f) uses that are defamatory, or contain otherwise unlawful, offensive or immoral content. You may not use Stock Media containing the likeness of a person if such use implies that the model engages in any immoral or illegal activity or suffers from a physical or mental infirmity, ailment or condition;
- use Stock Media in a manner that competes with Canva’s business including, but not limited to, displaying Stock Media in any format (including thumbnails) for download or Export on a website or offering Stock Media for sale;
- use the Stock Media for editorial purposes without including the following credit adjacent to the Stock Media or in audio/visual production credits: “©[insert Contributor’s Name] via Canva.com”;
- incorporate the Stock Media in any product that results in a re-distribution or re-use of the Stock Media or is otherwise made available in a manner such that a person can extract or access or reproduce the Stock Media as an electronic file;
- to the extent that source code is contained within the Stock Media, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble any part of such source code;
- use or display the Stock Media in an electronic format that enables it to be downloaded, Exported or distributed via mobile devices or shared in any peer-to-peer or similar file sharing arrangement; or
- use or display Stock Media in such a manner that gives the impression that the Stock Media were created by you or a person other than the copyright holder of the Stock Media.
Definitely, definitely, definitely can’t do these things with any Stock Media on Canva, no matter which license you buy.
- You acknowledge that no releases are generally obtained for any Stock Media that is identified as “Editorial Use Only” and that some jurisdictions provide legal protection against a person’s image, likeness or property being used for commercial purposes when they have not provided a release. For Stock Media identified as “Editorial Use Only”, Canva does not grant any right nor make any warranty with regard to the use of names, people, trademarks, trade dress, logos, registered designs or works of art or architecture depicted therein. In such cases, you shall be solely responsible for determining whether release(s) is/are required in connection with any proposed use of the Stock Media identified as “Editorial Use Only”, and shall be responsible for obtaining such release(s).
- While we have made reasonable efforts to correctly categorize, keyword, caption and title the Stock Media, Canva does not warrant the accuracy of such information and Canva also does not warrant the accuracy of any metadata that may be provided with the Stock Media.
- You can terminate this One Design Use License Agreement by destroying the Stock Media and Canva Design, along with any copies or archives of it or accompanying materials (if applicable), and ceasing to use the Canva Design for any purpose. Canva can terminate this One Design Use License Agreement without advanced notice if at any time you fail to comply with any of its terms. Upon termination, you must immediately (i) cease using the Canva Design for any purpose; (ii) destroy or delete all copies and archives of the Canva Design or accompanying materials; and (iii) if requested, confirm to Canva in writing that you have complied with these requirements.
- We reserve the right to revoke or amend the license granted by this One Design Use License Agreement and replace the Stock Media with an alternative for any reason.
- Upon notice from Canva, or upon your knowledge that any Stock Media is subject to a threatened, potential or actual claim of infringement of another’s right for which Canva may be liable, you must immediately and at your own expense (i) stop using the Stock Media; (ii) delete or remove the Stock Media from your premises, computer systems and storage (electronic or physical); (iii) ensure that your clients, printers or ISPs do likewise; and (iv) let Canva know.
If you want to end this agreement, you don’t have to get Arnold Schwarzenegger involved. Just shred any printed copies of the design and delete any files related to the design.
We can change this license whenever we want.
If anyone takes legal action over any Stock Media you are using, you must stop using the Stock Media, delete or remove the Stock Media, and let us know about it.