Updated on November 20, 2020. See previous versions of this and other policies in our Policy Archives.
This is a translation of the English language version of this agreement. To the extent of any inconsistency between this version and the English language version, the English language version shall take precedence.
The text in the right column is aimed to give a plain English summary of our One Design Use License Agreement. Please ensure you read the main text on the left, as the plain English summary on the right is just a summary and doesn’t capture all of the terms.
The text in grey is aimed to give a plain English summary of our One Design Use License Agreement. Please ensure you read the main text in black, as the plain English summary in grey is just a summary and doesn’t capture all of the terms.
This One Design Use License Agreement applies to the use of Pro Stock Media by:
- Free Canva account holders who purchase a One Design Use License; and
- Canva subscription account holders who are entitled to the use of Pro Stock Media under this license as part of their subscription.
Pro Stock Media is Canva’s premium content offering, indicated by a crown icon and the word PRO when you hover over the media in the library.
Please note there are specific rules that apply to music under the One Design Use License.
When you download content from Canva under a One Design Use License, you agree to the following terms.
Please note that a Canva Design that contains Pro Stock Media licensed under the One Design Use License Agreement may only be used in compliance with the One Design Use License Agreement even if other Stock Media in the Canva Design has been licensed under the Free Media License Agreement, Multi-Use License Agreement (archived) and/or Extended License Agreement (archived) (whichever applicable).
Your failure to comply with the terms herein could result in legal proceedings and the immediate termination of your account.
1. Agreement Background
- All Pro Stock Media on the Service is protected by United States and international copyright laws and treaties. Canva and/or its various Contributors own all rights, interests and title, including the copyrights, in and to the Pro Stock Media. Canva and/or its Contributors reserve all rights in and to the Pro Stock Media not expressly granted to you by the terms of this One Design Use License Agreement. Your rights to use any Pro Stock Media are subject to this One Design Use License Agreement and are conditioned upon (i) your payment to Canva for your use of the Stock Media in a single Canva design; or (ii) your holding of an eligible Canva subscription, namely Canva Pro, Canva for Enterprise, Canva for Education, Canva for Nonprofits or any other paid subscription Canva may offer from time-to-time (Eligible Canva Subscription).
- If you fail to make any payment to Canva when due, or if any check is dishonored or credit card charge refused or charged back, your account will be deemed delinquent. You still have the right to use any Canva Design Exported under a previous, valid payment, but your right to use any Canva Design Exported as part of an invalid transaction shall automatically terminate unless all payments together with any interest thereon and Canva’s costs of collection, bank charges and credit card processing fees are received by Canva no later than fifteen (15) days from the date that your account became delinquent.
- Pro Stock Media licensed under this One Design Use License Agreement is intended for use in one single Canva Design. This license does not include the right to download the original file or use it independently of the Canva Design for which it was licensed. You cannot remove or attempt to remove, edit or attempt to edit Pro Stock Media from a Design.
- For free account holders: When you choose to Export your Canva Design you will be charged the fee for all the Pro Stock Media contained in your Canva Design for which a One Design Use License is required. Pro Stock Media for which you have previously purchased a Multi-Use License (archived) and/or Extended License (archived) will not require purchase of a One Design Use License and you will not be charged any additional license fee. The Stock Media licensed under this One Design Use License may be used within a single Canva Design for an unlimited period of time, so long as such use remains in compliance with the terms of this One Design Use License. You may re-export or otherwise use that Canva Design at any time, except where that Canva Design has been Magic Resized, without being charged an additional license fee for that Stock Media. For the avoidance of doubt, the use of Stock Media licensed under this One Design Use License in a Canva Design that has been Magic Resized will constitute use in a secondary design and will require you to purchase an additional One Design Use License.
- For Eligible Canva Subscription holders: When you choose to Export your Canva Design, you will be issued a One Design Use License for each item of Pro Stock Media contained in your Canva Design. You will not be required to pay for such licenses; your use of the Pro Stock Media will count toward the royalties payable to the Contributor who owns it.
- You understand and agree that Canva may, in its sole discretion:
- monitor anything you Export from or upload to Canva or the Service, as frequently Canva in its sole discretion determines, for any violation of this One Design Use License Agreement;
- retain for an indefinite period details of a Canva Design that you have Exported;
- track any abuse of your username and password in connection with the Service or in connection with this One Design Use License Agreement;
If you want to use any of Canva’s Stock Media, you have to pay to obtain a license or hold an Eligible Canva Subscription.
If you pay for a One Design Use License, then you can only use that Pro Stock Media in one of your Canva Designs. While the license allows you to change aspects of that specific Canva Design (such as colours or text), you may not Magic Resize the design or edit the PDFs, PNGs or JPGs you will need to pay for another license (unless you hold an Eligible Canva Subscription – in which case you can Magic Resize to your heart’s content!)
2. One Design Use License Terms
Subject to the terms and conditions hereof, we hereby grant to you a perpetual, non-exclusive, non-transferable worldwide license to use the Pro Stock Media in one Canva Design for a Permitted Use (as defined below). Unless the activity or use is a Permitted Use, you cannot do it. All other rights in and to the Pro Stock Media, including, without limitation, all copyright and other Intellectual Property Rights relating to the Pro Stock Media, are retained by Canva and/or its Contributors as the case may be.
We are granting you a license anywhere we can (even Antarctica, penguins!), but you’re not the only one we can give it to and you can’t give it to anyone else.
3. Permitted Uses
Permitted Uses of Pro Stock Media
Subject to the restrictions described under Prohibited Uses below, the following are “Permitted Uses” of Canva designs that contain Pro Stock Media (please pay attention to the specific rules that apply to Pro music):
- invitations, advertising and promotional projects, including printed materials, product packaging, presentations, film and video presentations, commercials, catalogues, brochures, greeting cards and postcards;
- school or university projects;
- social media post or profile images/videos;
- decorative background on a personal computer or mobile device;
- design templates solely for use on Canva;
- entertainment applications, such as books and book covers, magazines, newspapers, editorials, newsletters, and video, broadcast and theatrical presentations**
- online or electronic publications, including web pages, blogs, ebooks and videos, limited to a maximum of 480,000 total pixels (for example: 600px x 800px) per Stock Media file where un-edited;
- prints, posters (i.e. a hardcopy) and other reproductions for commercial, personal or promotional purposes, including the sale of items containing your design. For the avoidance of doubt, resale, license or other distribution of Pro Stock Media on a standalone basis is not permitted under any circumstances;
- any other uses approved in writing by Canva.
Canva for Education Users may only use Pro Stock Media for non-commercial purposes. Any commercial uses listed above are not permitted for Canva for Education Users.
*Limits on using Pro music in advertising: Pro music may be used in online advertisements (such as pre, mid and post roll ads within a YouTube Video) but not other traditional media advertisements or commercials in paid channels (such as TV/cinema/radio/podcast/billboard).
**Limits on using Pro music in video: Pro music may not be used in TV/SVOD, radio/podcasts, feature films, vignettes/theme songs, software applications or video games.
Can I create derivative works?
Users may create derivative works based on, or incorporating, Pro Stock Media, other than Pro music (see Prohibited Uses of Pro Music below).
In the event that you create such a derivative work all rights in and to Pro Stock Media shall continue to be owned by Canva or its Contributor(s), subject to your rights to use such Pro Stock Media pursuant to the terms and limitations set forth herein.
All other rights in the Pro Stock Media are expressly reserved by Canva for itself and its Contributors.
These are the things this license permits you to do with Canva designs that contain Pro Stock Media.
4. Prohibited Uses
You may not do anything with the Pro Stock Media that is not expressly permitted in the preceding section.
Prohibited Uses that are available under other licenses
- Use the Pro Stock Media in more than one Canva Design;
- Use the Pro Stock Media in a design created outside of Canva;
- Download the Pro Stock Media on a standalone basis; for the avoidance of doubt, Pro Stock Media may only be used in a single Canva Design;
- Install and use the Pro Stock Media in more than one location or post a copy on a network server or web server for use by other users;
- Except for use within apps on the Service you may not:
- Use the Pro Stock Media in templates of any nature, including templates for websites, social networking websites, documents, projects or otherwise for distribution and/or sale to third parties (except for templates created for use on Canva);
- Use or display the Pro Stock Media on a standalone basis on websites or other venues designed to induce or involving the sale, license or other distribution of “on demand” products, including postcards, mugs, t-shirts, posters and other items;
- Use the Pro Stock Media in design template applications intended for resale, whether online or not, including, without limitation, website templates, Flash templates, business card templates, electronic greeting card templates, and brochure design templates (except for templates created for use on Canva).
Unfortunately, there are some things you just can’t do under the One Design Use License.
Prohibited Uses of Pro music
In addition to the Prohibited Uses that apply to all Stock Media (see below), the following uses of Pro music are prohibited:
- Standalone downloads: make available or in any other way exploit a music piece for the purpose of making the music piece (in whole or in part) available, on a stand-alone basis (meaning available outside of Canva or without being synchronized with a Canva design or repackage the music pieces or upload/use them (in whole or in part) as for example audio samples, sound libraries, sound effects, music beds or upload them in any music recognition systems;
- Editing/remixing: edit a music piece in any way that would alter the fundamental character of the portion of any music piece being used, or that would give rise to any copyright or other rights on the part of the User in the edited music piece (including without limitation that no remixes, samples or derivative works of the music pieces may be made).
Listen up! These are specific restrictions that apply to Pro music.
Prohibited Uses of all Stock Media
The following Prohibited Uses are not available under this or any other Canva license for Stock Media (including music and video):
- sub-license, re-sell, rent, lend, assign, gift or otherwise transfer or distribute the Stock Media or the rights granted under this One Design Use License Agreement;
- use any of the Stock Media as part of a trade-mark, design-mark, trade-name, business name, service mark, or logo;
- use Stock Media identified as “Editorial Use Only”, for any commercial, promotional, endorsement, advertising or merchandising use. For clarification, in this Agreement “Editorial Use Only” of Stock Media means use relating to events that are newsworthy or of general interest and expressly excludes any advertorial sections (i.e. sections or supplements featuring brand and/or product names or sections or supplements in relation to which you receive a fee from a third-party advertiser or sponsor);
- remove any notice of copyright, trade-mark or other proprietary right from any place where it is on or embedded in the Stock Media or Canva Design;
- use the Stock Media in a fashion that is considered by Canva or under applicable law to be offensive, pornographic, obscene, immoral, discriminatory, illegal, infringing, defamatory or libelous in nature, or that would be reasonably likely to bring any person or property reflected in the Stock Media into disrepute;
- use the Stock Media in a way that places any person depicted in the Stock Media in a bad light or in a way that they may find offensive – this includes, but is not limited to, the use of images: a) in pornography, “adult videos” or the like; b) in ads for tobacco products; c) in ads or promotional materials for adult entertainment clubs or similar venues, or for escort, dating or similar services; d) in connection with political endorsements; e) in advertisements or promotional materials for pharmaceutical or healthcare, herbal or medical products, including, but not limited to dietary supplements, digestive aids, herbal supplements, personal hygiene or birth control products; and f) uses that are defamatory, or contain otherwise unlawful, offensive or immoral content. You may not use Stock Media containing the likeness of a person if such use implies that the model engages in any immoral or illegal activity or suffers from a physical or mental infirmity, ailment or condition;
- use Stock Media in a manner that competes with Canva’s business including, but not limited to, displaying Stock Media in any format (including thumbnails) for download or Export on a website or offering Stock Media for sale;
- use the Stock Media for editorial purposes without including the following credit adjacent to the Stock Media or in audio/visual production credits: “©[insert Contributor’s Name] via Canva.com”;
- incorporate the Stock Media in any product that results in a re-distribution or re-use of the Stock Media or is otherwise made available in a manner such that a person can extract or access or reproduce the Stock Media as an electronic file;
- to the extent that source code is contained within the Stock Media, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble any part of such source code;
- use or display the Stock Media in an electronic format that enables it to be downloaded, Exported or distributed via mobile devices or shared in any peer-to-peer or similar file sharing arrangement; or
- use or display Stock Media in such a manner that gives the impression that the Stock Media were created by you or a person other than the copyright holder of the Stock Media.
Definitely, definitely, definitely can’t do these things with any Stock Media on Canva, no matter which license you buy.
- You acknowledge that no releases are generally obtained for any Stock Media that is identified as “Editorial Use Only” and that some jurisdictions provide legal protection against a person’s image, likeness or property being used for commercial purposes when they have not provided a release. For Stock Media identified as “Editorial Use Only”, Canva does not grant any right nor make any warranty with regard to the use of names, people, trademarks, trade dress, logos, registered designs or works of art or architecture depicted therein. In such cases, you shall be solely responsible for determining whether release(s) is/are required in connection with any proposed use of the Stock Media identified as “Editorial Use Only”, and shall be responsible for obtaining such release(s).
- While we have made reasonable efforts to correctly categorize, keyword, caption and title the Stock Media, Canva does not warrant the accuracy of such information and Canva also does not warrant the accuracy of any metadata that may be provided with the Stock Media.
- You can terminate this One Design Use License Agreement by destroying the Pro Stock Media and Canva Design, along with any copies or archives of it or accompanying materials (if applicable), and ceasing to use the Canva Design for any purpose. Canva can terminate this One Design Use License Agreement without advanced notice if at any time you fail to comply with any of its terms. Upon termination, you must immediately (i) cease using the Canva Design for any purpose; (ii) destroy or delete all copies and archives of the Canva Design or accompanying materials; and (iii) if requested, confirm to Canva in writing that you have complied with these requirements.
- We reserve the right to revoke or amend the license granted by this One Design Use License Agreement and replace the Pro Stock Media with an alternative for any reason.
- Upon notice from Canva, or upon your knowledge that any Pro Stock Media is subject to a threatened, potential or actual claim of infringement of another’s right for which Canva may be liable, you must immediately and at your own expense (i) stop using the Stock Media; (ii) delete or remove the Stock Media from your premises, computer systems and storage (electronic or physical); (iii) ensure that your clients, printers or ISPs do likewise; and (iv) let Canva know.
If you want to end this agreement, you don’t have to get Arnold Schwarzenegger involved. Just shred any printed copies of the design and delete any files related to the design.
We can change this license whenever we want.
If anyone takes legal action over any Stock Media you are using, you must stop using the Stock Media, delete or remove the Stock Media, and let us know about it.